StaR in An auTuMn's niTe...

sHimMeriNg of sTars in tHe niTe skY...bRinG my hAnd fOrwArD..tRyinG tO rEacH thEm...n wOndEriNg...wiLL i bE abLe to hOLd tHeM iN mY hAnD...?

Friday, March 02, 2007

Away from Home...

Went to give tuition today and i had a little conversation with my students' maid, and my students were just beside us. There was how it went...

1st part:

Me: wah...it's so dark outside, seems like it is going to rain again.

Maid: ya ya! keep raining. My husband sms me say indonesia, my village got many water until here, here! (she put one of her hands at her hip to indicate the water level.) My house, chairs tables wet, everything.

Student (mei mei*): wow! so fun! i also want to go indonesia! Can play with water.

Maid: what! not fun!

Mei mei*: why??!!

Maid: No no...very dangerous! Later scare my children... (she used her hand again to show us a sweeping off action. I supposed she trying to tell us how ppl were swept away by current and drown. But Mei mei* was looking confused.)

Me: oh my! Mei mei* u really don't know the seriousness! During floods, people can just accidentally trip and fall, get wash away and then drown. Meaning, never to get to see their family again. (By now Mei mei* was quite ashame of what she had just mentioned.)

1st part of conversation ended.

I turned to look at the maid. All i saw is nothing else but a worried face. After that she walked off to pick up my students' shoes for washing.

I really feel sorry for her and my heart goes out to her. She's alone, working in this foreign country and leaving behind her family to earn better money in order to support her own kids to school. Now, she is here worrying about the safety of her children back at home while taking care of other people's children. Isn't that an irony? I think her heart ache each time when she's looking after my students. Cook for them, wash their clothes for them and also making sure they are well taken care of. But she, as a mother, can't do all these for her very own children. To her, this must be really heart aching.

2nd part:

As i was tuitoring Mei mei*, Kor kor* came running to me...

Kor kor*: Denise! Denise! My maid told me that the people in her village are digging many holes!

Me: Huh?? Many holes? ( Feeling puzzled.)

Me: oh...u mean people are digging the soil to drain out excess rain water, like a simple man made drainage system?

Kor kor*: yah yah!

Kor kor*: (very agitated) Why their govenment never do anything to help the victims and build better drainage system!!??

Me: (stunned!)
I was actually quite surprised about this pri 6 student of mine. Didn't expect him to link this to government. I must say that his way of thinking is mature than a 12 yr old, BUT his behaviour is quite the opposite. =X hahaz.... I'm really worried for his PSLE this year too...*geh sim*

Me: yalor, some governments are too corrupted to care about their people's welfare and living conditions...

End of conversation.

On my way back, it still raining. I sheltered myself with an umbrella and walking in the rain. The surrounding was quiet except the splattering sound of the rain, so it's kinda of romantic. ahahaz...Well, that's that.
Back to topic. As I was walking down the road, my thoughts were back to the conversations i had earlier on. We are so fortunate than so many people living on earth. We are blessed with no natural disaster and government that at least takes care of our basic needs. That is why we have the chance to carry umbrellas and the privilege to take a look at our beautiful surroundings. But people who are trapped in flood areas are fighting for their lives against the raging current. We really need to be content with our lives instead of complaining....

PS: Both my students' names had been changed to mei mei* and Kor kor*. Mei mei* age 11 (pri 5) and Kor kor* age 12 (pri 6).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home